Monday, May 21, 2018

Real Estate is People, not houses.


Real Estate is People, not Houses…….I bought my very first house on Ponce de Leon Ave. in 2005. I was a fairly new Realtor, & new at taking care of a home. I had also never lived alone before, so I was very nervous about many aspects of that. Well, my neighbors welcomed me with open arms right away, & my first warm greeting came from Mary Milam across the street.
Miss Mary had lived there for nearly 50 years, raised her kids in that house, & she knew everybody in our neighborhood. I immediately felt safe & sound, & like I had family around me. I soon after met many of the other neighbors, & we were a mix of new, young homeowners like me, & families who had been there for generations.
I soon created a few regular running routes, & I loved seeing all the familiar friendly faces every day as I ran a beautiful 4 miles down around San Jose Forest to Nathan Krestul Park & back home. Everyone said hello, some would stop me & ask me where I lived & how far I was running. Soon after I got Maggie, my first rescue dog, & we would run & walk all over the neighborhood every day. Now we got to know all the dog people & would see the same dogs every day.
Miss Mary had Casey, next door Samantha had Buck, & Mrs. Coffman had three little Min Pins, one who she’d walk in a stroller. Sometimes Miss Mary’s daughter Kim would come over with little Maggie & we’d all just have a ball visiting & enjoying the beautiful day.
Miss Mary always looked out for me, calling or stop by to give me neighborhood news, or if a suspicious person had been seen. She collected my mail when I went out of town, brought my trash cans up to the house when I got home late, gave me advice on my yard & a million other things.
In 2010 I moved to Springfield, but I missed my San Jose community dearly. When my home turned in to a rental, Miss Mary still looked out for my house and its occupants. One day, I got the horrible news that Mary had passed away suddenly, & I was so saddened, but relieved to know that she had not suffered from a long term illness.
With a proud, but heavy heart I was happy to help Mary’s son & daughter prepare her home for sale, & quickly get a solid offer from a wonderful new family who will move into this home around the end of April. When I told people about this home, tears would fill my eyes remembering my first house, first dog, & Miss Mary, my first real neighbor in my adult life.
Our neighborhood may be old, & to some people it is a collection of houses that could use a little updating………..but to me San Jose is a community full of families, neighbors, friends & memories. I am always excited to introduce new buyers to San Jose, a hidden gem, full of solid homes, trees, parks, mom & pop retail. 
Most of all I am proud to introduce people to a community full of fantastic people.
I will always be proud to be your neighborhood real estate expert.  Thank you for trusting me to work with your family, friends and neighbors.

3830 Ponce De Leon Ave.
3 bed, 1 bath
Under Contract in 4 days
Listed for $175,000


No comments:

Post a Comment

Just listed 12460 Shady Creek Drive

Gorgeous Mandarin home on over half acre preserve lot with deck & paver patio with fire pit. This home is an entertainer’s dream. Beauti...