Monday, April 2, 2018

Marathon High

Long Post about Marathon High......
Four years ago my work and home life had reached a good, stable place, but I still did not feel complete. I needed a bigger reason to jump out of bed every day and be the best I could be. I wanted to help others, but I was not sure how.
I saw something about Marathon High, and training teenagers to run a half marathon from scratch, and I was intrigued. I asked if they would accept a small sponsorship from me, and they were so grateful and excited for me to partner with them.
I got my first Marathon High shirt, and I attended an All School Run at Lee HS, which was simply AMAZING. All these every day teens running together with their coaches encouraging each other and giving high fives. These were not decorated track stars, but they were superstars, every single one of them.
They were brave, strong, dedicated, tenacious teens. Nothing like the stereotypes we see of teens in the media today. This group had so much diversity, but they had running and supporting each other in common. This was exactly the welcoming community I myself had experienced when I became a runner about ten years before.........and we all know running changed my life.
I begged to be a coach the following season and was so excited to coach at Douglas Anderson School of the Arts. I absolutely loved mentoring, training, and pushing these amazing teens. Over the last three years my other amazing DA coaches and I have shaped a fun, challenging and fantastic MH Program for our students. I know that we have all grown as runners and people, and our students have grown in ways we never knew was possible. We have also had a group of parents who have started to walk or run from time to time, as they watch their teens become more active.
For the past three years, Marathon High has changed my life for the better. These are the runs I most look forward to every week, and friends I know I will have for life. I am crazy, goofy, nerdy and strange, but Marathon High accepts me with all my jagged edges. My teens teach me new things about life and myself every week.
Marathon High makes me always try to do the right thing in business and my personal life. I make a ton of mistakes, but I try to give praise and thanks when it is due, apologize when i am wrong, reach out to encourage someone who is struggling, and always give more when I can, because there is always someone who has less than I do.
We just finished this season with the run 13.1 around Springfield and Evergreen, and it was just as great as expected. It felt like the whole race was Marathon High students and supporters. We started with a really fun group and stuck to our 3 and 30 plan. The two guys were feeling great, so they went on ahead with my dear friend and fellow coach Tara Vanderperren Showalter.
Jordan wanted to drop back, but no way was I going to leave her..........we ran every step together and she never gave up. We got to run with students and coaches from other schools. We high fived every single person we saw to encourage them. There was a guy who was giving a high five even to every volunteer as he ran along. We picked up various groups of students as we ran. We talked, laughed and pushed hard until the very end.
As we saw the finish line, we sprinted and my sweet Jordan tried to outkick me, but we crossed together, greeted by parents and other students from our group. We all celebratad with hugs and high fives. You know Carrie Ann Whitsell I sure love you and your sweet young adult!!
We waited and cheered for each group as they came in. We saw a prom proposal, lots of high fives, lots of tears and smiles, and a few people limping.
Our last girl Erin, never gave up, and I ran her in. She loves running, but she doubts herself, and struggles with asthma. But she has finished the last two 13.1 races, and she will always have running, as she graduates this year and moves on to college!
Life is hard and full of challenges, ups and downs, but if you can run 13.1 in the heat, the cold, the rain, and amidst all the other obstacles life puts in your way.............really you can do ANYTHING! Thank you Deborah Dunhamfor having the vision of Marathon High, and for these last three amazing years!!!
Now it's time to think about Season 8 Jackie Horner Culver!!!
But first...............I have to run across Tennessee.................for Marathon High, in July! Stay tuned for my upcoming fundraiser...........Regina Runs Tennesee for Teens!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just listed 12460 Shady Creek Drive

Gorgeous Mandarin home on over half acre preserve lot with deck & paver patio with fire pit. This home is an entertainer’s dream. Beauti...